Top Notch Podcast > Episode 2 – What is fitness? How does CrossFit define it?
Sponsored by Lil Beasts Kids CrossFit: www.crossfitregeneration.com/lil-beasts-kids
In this educational episode, John and Charlie talk about what fitness is, how it’s defined by CrossFit and Greg Glassman and why it’s important for you to know, including:
Standard CrossFit definition of fitness
- Improved work capacity across a broad range of timed and modal domains.
- How much power can your body produce?
- Work = (Force X Distance) / Time
- Tracking your work capacity as a measurable quantity.
Broad range of time and modal domains
- We don’t want the limiter to ever appear.
- Activities should be broad, inclusive and repeatable.
- Keeping track of a single measurable (like your weight) is okay, but not as useful as tracking multiple measurables to determine the true reality of what’s going on with your body.
- Tracking workouts by writing them down or using tools like Wodify.
- Helps to focus on measurable performances rather than body weight or your reflection in the mirror.
10 general physical skills
- From sidebar on page 4 of “What is Fitness?” CrossFit Journal article library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ-trial.pdf
- Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, speed, coordination, agility, balance, accuracy
- Charlie’s IronMan experience: Grade A+ in cardio/respiratory endurance, Grade F in all other skills
- Specialists vs. Jack’s of All Trades (world record deadlift www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcbYHCQRCsA)
3 energy systems (or maybe more)
- From chart on page 2 of “What is Fitness?” CrossFit Journal article library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ-trial.pdf
- First system: Phosphagen, flash in the pan pathway, like a pitcher throwing a fastball
- Second system: Glycolytic, 90 second pathway, like a 400 meter sprint
- Third system: Oxidative, pathway for things longer than 90 seconds, like aerobics
- For efficient fitness we need to try to hit all 3 pathways in our workouts
- CrossFit Endurance crossfitendurance.com
Programming at CrossFit Regeneration
- Sorry dudes, no biceps curls here.
- Workouts are setup to hit all 10 of the general physical skills.
- Setup to help members get a varied range of movements and avoid routines.
- Being prepared for the unknown and unknowable.
- Attack the things (exercises that are our weaknesses) that terrify us the most.
Health and Fitness
- Three dimensional definition of fitness and health video from Coach Glassman www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl6ANK8CN5w
- From top of page 3 of “What is Fitness?” CrossFit Journal article library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ-trial.pdf
- 1-to-1 relationship between health and fitness. CrossFit is “wellness care”.
- Combine proper food, sleep and exercise habits moves you further down the continuum towards fitness and gives you a buffer if you get sick.