Top Notch Podcast > Episode 19 – 2016 Guide for Fat Loss (or how to eat healthy, exercise and have fun working out with your friends)
Sponsored by the 2016 Nutrition Jumpstart Program & Grocery Store Tour (https://www.facebook.com/events/470826403125913/ or for more info email Moira.Realfood@gmail.com), the REGENERATORS IN ACTION and the CrossFit Regeneration $125 Holiday Special (http://crossfitregeneration.com).
Charlie and John chat about fat loss and how food, muscle and supplements affect it, including:
- Fitness is 100 words:
- Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports. — Coach Greg Glassman from What is Fitness (http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ-trial.pdf)
- CrossFit’s pyramid (http://crossfitregeneration.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/crossfit-pyramid.png)
- Weight loss versus fat loss
- Nutrition challenges
- They aren’t always good.
- Takes time to build good habits.
- Sometimes wholesale changes don’t stick.
- Think of Milo and the Calf (http://crossfitregeneration.com/2013/10/why-you-should-buy-a-calf-the-milo-of-croton-story) and how little changes make the difference.
Muscle and benefits to fat loss
- Basal metabolic rate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate)
- Don’t be afraid of building muscle. Basically they help your body burn more energy.
- Cardio workouts
- It’s one tool in the exercise toolbox.
- If you want to lose fat while you exercise, go run.
- If you want to also lose fat while you sleep, go run 400 meters as fast as you can then do 15 reps of deadlifts and repeat that 5 times (or do CrossFit).
- Magic potions and pills. Guess what, they never deliver.
- A dietary supplement is intended to provide nutrients that may otherwise not be consumed in sufficient quantities (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_supplement).
- Metaphor alert: We want people to have a great cup of coffee or watch this cool new TV show (or really just have a healthier life). If you want to learn more book a “No Sweat” Intro for free (http://crossfitregeneration.com/no-sweat-intro/).